Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Exthpertlicious

Today, mama landed a consulting job as an "Expert Curator" for an amazing institution. It won't interfere with my main cool job and it will end before I begin the fantastic teaching gig. Benefits? Hell no. Vacation? Nah. I'm a part time QUEEN.

Kids, all I can say is that in any career track you're in, intern. INTERN. Do you hear me? BE A FUCKING SLAVE TO YOUR SUPERIORS as many times as you can in places you want to work in someday. All of my opportunities have come from networking through internships and fellowships. I've worked for free or for very, very little for years. And although I just wanted the chance to get near objects (a.k.a. "the stuff") and do research, I am so grateful for the experience.

My first internship was in the institution where I now work, although I got this job more from another institution in which that boss jumped ship to this institution. This new job came from knowing a woman in a third internship at one institution but she jumped ship to the new institution. Confused? Yeahhh.

People you intern with (at least in my field) either change to a similar institution as they move up the ladder or they stay until they die. Either way, you inadvertently network in your field and those people learn what kind of person and worker you are...they share that information with others and you win. The experience you get along the way is absolutely invaluable. Although working for free sucks, you get so much out of it. I did, anyway.

Thank you people involved in my internships and fellowships...I'm having a blast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby Ticker