Saturday, June 04, 2005

Let me hear you say...

If you've ever been a cheerleader, you undoubtedly knew that Gwen Stefani's new song "Hollaback Girl" would have a cheerleader theme in the video. That beat, those chants, pure joy! Although I admit, I seem to have no choice but to respond positively to the song, I had NO clue what she was saying. Something about bleachers and principals. Girl, honey, baby, Gwen...you're 35. If you are worried about your principal, you are not quite as smart as I had hoped, you know, being the oldest high schooler and all. But she can still pull off the little uniform in a way that I just can't.

This said, I had to figure out what the hell I was singing in car. Googling the song, I found this great article that goes through the whole song, phrase by phrase. In it, we learn all about Gwen's shit and her captain complex. My god, didn't all captains have a leader problem? (Note: I was one of a pair of co-captains, my bitches.) Read the article Here.

All you former cheerleaders, you get one more shot to chant something ridiculous. Say it with me: "this shit is Bananas. B A N A N A YEAH!" Now bitches, less sing songy and more powerful. Use your man voice!

"THIS SHIT IS BANANAS!
B A N A N A YEAH!!!!"


For all of you who weren't cheerleaders but your big sisters were, this is your chance to once again puke a little bit in your mouth.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go to www.urbandictionary.com. They have like about 30 different definitions for a "Hollaback" girl. About 60% of the definitions I could see making sense. I like that song, even though I hate the cheerleader shit. I took the song to mean someone was talking "shit" about her and "she had been around that track" before and this person wasn't going to talk shit about her and get away with it. The person who "talks" shit only talks, while Gwen takes actions. She's not gonna "hollaback" or argue with that person, she's just going to whip their ass, which, according to the song, beats a person who's mouth basically can't back up their ass.

June 04, 2005 3:54 PM  
Blogger Sugared Harpy said...

Ahhhh. And the bananas?

June 04, 2005 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, here's a big stretch, so hold on. Its fun to spell bananas, one, which is SO obvious, secondly, that whole situation is bananas. If you don't buy that, then its pop drivel.

June 04, 2005 11:50 PM  
Blogger Sugared Harpy said...

I totally buy it

June 05, 2005 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and my kid adore that song! I know, I know, they say "SHIT" at least 150 times, but it's fun. Ashley only says "SHHH"
If you get a chance to hop around the house like crazy people while screaming BANANAS, you should do it!

June 06, 2005 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby Ticker