Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Syllabus, ah, She is a Lengthy Bitch

Two things today:

First, the boys and I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today. The kids loved it. They loved everything about it. Brett spent the evening in his room writing down ideas for new candies he's going to make as an engineer/chocolatier someday. Daniel helped him brainstorm and set up business plans for him. I liked it so much that I want to make love to the minds of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. Depp is fabulously creepy and Burton's way of bringing the story to life is perfect.

Secondly, I've been writing my syllabus for my first attempt at playing professor this fall. My class, Art History I, is now officially full. Oh, the expectations! I apologize now, if any of you are my students, for the red face and profuse sweating you may see on your first day of class. It will pass, I think.

Oh, but the syllabus. I feel I'm pretty laid back. Or, I FELT I was pretty laid back...that is, until I took a gander at the syllabus I had created. Holy shit do I have a lot on there. I mean, it's not particularly strict or anything but I apparently feel the need to spell out everything.

I've edited it, so I hope that helps. Now I simply hope that what I hand out will be helpful information. I always hated when I didn't know my instructor's expectations and Art History tends to have some different requirements, what with Chicago Manual Style and all.

I just hope I do a respectful job of teaching my students HUMANKIND'S ENTIRE HISTORY OF ART FROM THE NEOLITHIC TO 5 MINUTES AGO.

So, all you teaching mavens out there...don't laugh too hard at me. Have a drink with me instead and I promise to listen to every nugget of wisdom you care to dispense.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, if it gets bad, make a refernce to cocaine. At least you'll have everyone under 25 (and a few overs)'s attention.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be great.

July 27, 2005 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be great! The reference is so funny! You should use that! He he!

July 27, 2005 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny!!

July 27, 2005 3:52 PM  
Blogger aaron said...

just one tip I got from taking a graduate teaching undergrad sociology course this past spring. It is best to be specific in your syllabus because the majority of grade appeals that are approved are done so because the syllabus was not clear. Like if you don't intend on giving make up exams and you don't have that caveat in your syllabus the student can fight you and in most cases will win with you having to provide a different exam on a different day. which sucks big time. hope that helps. you will do a wonderful job professor. Oh can I get an extention on that research paper that was due six months ago lol.

July 28, 2005 11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO! IT'S DUE NOW!

Thanks Aaron for the advice.

July 29, 2005 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby Ticker